Friday, March 8, 2013

A Healthy and Green Breakfast – March 8, 2013


During the holidays, I decided to make Lemon Curd again.  It is a great homemade holiday gift.  But, I was left with the usual dilemma – what to do with all the leftover egg whites.  I have a previous blog where the answer was angel food cake in case you want to try that out.  This time, I started thinking about all the fancy breakfast and brunch places I’ve been to lately that feature an egg white omelet. 



It turns out that two egg whites only have 34 calories.  If you can then use a small amount of a sharp cheese and focus on the veggies in your fridge, you can have a really healthy but filling meal.  I had four unused egg whites which I whipped up with a fork (adding salt, pepper and a bit of parsley) before pouring into my frying pan.  I usually let the eggs cook a bit, scraping the bottom to keep the uncooked portion seeping through to the bottom of the pan.  When all the liquid is gone, I add the veggies and cheese and double over the omelet.  In this case, I added sauted tomatoes, onions and parsley.  It was delicious and I did not miss the calories at all.


 One year ago - Limoncello

No comments:

Post a Comment