Saturday, June 8, 2013

Cauliflower Cover Up – June 8, 2013


 
I know there be one or two people in the world that love cauliflower, but it isn’t one of the foods you hear people ooh and aah about after some great meal.  I usually avoid it because I never have learned to cook it in a way that I love and there are so many vegetables I am crazy about like okra, greens, Brussels’ sprouts, and asparagus.  But last week, we got TWO heads of cauliflower in our farmer box, so I was compelled to figure out a few ways to serve it.

Well, we are planning a welcome to town party for my wonderful mother-in-law, so one head I decided to roast along with carrots and asparagus and serve with a lemon vinaigrette at the party.  I simply washed and peeled the carrots, broke up the cauliflower and washed along with the asparagus and tossed it all in olive oil and salt.  I then placed in a single layer on a cookie sheet in the top of the oven.  I watched it all closely and slowly removed the veggies as they cooked because some started to look toasty sooner than others.  Then, I tossed them in a plastic bag filled with lemon vinaigrette and left in the fridge and simply took out and placed on a platter before the party.

Lemon Vinaigrette

1 chopped shallot
2 T. Dijon
4 T. white wine vinegar
3 T. lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
¾ c. + 2 T. olive oil
1 T. chopped tarragon

Mix everything except last two ingredients.  Then slowly add these in.

So my next thought was to mash steamed cauliflower as or with potatoes for creamy cauliflower.  I have done this before and it’s good but can be a bit watery if you’re not careful about draining and drying before mashing and adding butter, salt and pepper.  Instead, I gave this new recipe a try from Penzey’s.  The whole thing is cooked in the microwave!

 
 
Frosted Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
½ c. Mayonnaise
1 ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
¼ tsp. salt
¾ c. shredded cheddar or other sharp cheese
½ tsp. paprika

Wash cauliflower and place in plastic bowl in microwave with just the water from washing.  Cover and cook 6 minutes or until soft.  Let stand 5 minutes while you mix the remaining ingredients except paprika and microwave for 30-60 seconds.  Stir and spread evenly over cauliflower head.  Top with cheese and microwave 1 minute.  Sprinkle paprika on top. 


It was yummy with our other fresh veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment