Friday, September 6, 2013

Sunday Supper – September 6, 2013


My mother died when I was 15 and my brother and I were raised in part from that point on my our neighbors, the Zitos.  This amazing family had four kids of their own and we were always welcome for any meal.  This was never as exciting as Sunday.  Mama Zito made a pot of sugo – a tomato based sauce that cooked all day and that might include sausage, meatballs, boiled eggs and other wonders.  But, she always made boxed pasta.

I have made pasta on my own and it is a great way to make fabulous use of nothing more than flour and a little oil, egg, water and salt.  However, after moving to Louisville, I discovered Lotsa Pasta and did not feel the need to make my own pasta again.


And, then came the August Bon Appetit magazine where I saw photos of these beautiful handmade pastas and I realized they were made with a wooden tool I had at home but had never known how to use.  I decided to experiment.  I had a great time and a couple great pasta meals.  I highly recommend getting back to the basics.  I used simple homegrown tomatoes roasted in the oven with homegrown garlic, fabulous olive oil, salt pepper and some fresh herbs.  And, don’t forget the Parmesan!


Basic Pasta
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp salt
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. olive oil
I T. water

In a medium sized bowl, combine flour and  salt.  Make a well in the center and add egg, mix.  Stir in water and oil and let sit about one hour.  Knead dough on a floured surface about 3-4 minutes.  Roll to desired thinness (really thin) and cut in strips.  I actually cut into circles with a small lid and then pressed into the wooden tool I have that created the wavy pattern on each circle.  I then wet both ends and pressed together to create half circles with centers to catch the sauce.

One Year Ago – Sauteed Beet Greens and Baked Beets


No comments:

Post a Comment