Friday, October 4, 2013

Snacking with Edward Lee – October 4, 2013

I admit to having a bit of a crush on Edward Lee.  I have had the opportunity to eat at 610 Magnolia and attend events at the wine bar across the street.  I haven’t tried Milkwood yet, but I am looking forward to the chance.  But, lately, I have been more obsessed with his new cookbook, Pickles and Smoke.   It gives you great insight into the way he combines Asian and Southern cuisine.  It also gave me the opportunity to impress my husband and mother-in-law with a whole chicken stuffed with potatoes under the skin.  But, this week, I have been trying the appetizer in the book and having a blast.  The first I have renamed Edward Lee Bacon Crack because you will quickly become addicted.  The second is pickled jalapenos which he doesn’t even bother to can because they go so quickly at his house.  The key is that they are pickled with bourbon.  I tried this recipe twice and for my palette, they were nicer the second time when I got a milder pepper.  He recommends using them in drinks.  I like them with nachos.


Bacon Candy and Curried Cashews

3 slices thick bacon, diced
2 T. sugar
1 c. cashews
2 tsp. sweet Curry powder
¼ tsp. cayenne
Pinch of salt and pepper
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook bacon pieces on medium 5-6 minutes until they start to crisp.  Drain off all but 1 T. fat.  Add sugar and cook while stirring 2-3 minutes until bacon is all coated and starts to look shiny.  Quickly add remaining ingredients and toss to coat. 

Remove from heat and spread on cookie sheet.  Bake 10 minutes or until lightly toasted (keep an eye on it throughout especially if your bacon isn’t too thick).  Cool and store in air-tight container.


Bourbon-Pickled Jalapenos

1 lb. peppers, seeded and chopped in rings
¼ c. white vinegar
1 c. bourbon
½ c. honey
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
2 pint jars

Pack pepper rings into two pint jars.  Combine remaining ingredients and bring to boil before simmering 5 minutes.  Pour over peppers.  You can now keep in fridge for up to two weeks or seal in boiling water for 10 minutes to make shelf stable.

One year ago today – minestrone stew

No comments:

Post a Comment