Friday, January 31, 2014

Cavala Ki Khira - January 31, 2014

Namaste!  Last week I had the opportunity to cook an Indian dinner for almost 100 people who attended a concert by Kiran Ahluwalia (check her out at http://www.kiranmusic.com/) at my husband's venue, the Clifton Center.  I made creamy eggplant, cauliflower with potatoes, lentils (dal), bread (naan) and yogurt (raita).  It was a big hit but I made WAY too much rice because I was afraid it would run out.

Soooo....rice pudding (cavala ki khira)!  It was really easy.  So easy in fact that I made it at 11:00 that evening when I returned from the event. It makes a great dessert, but I ate it for breakfast the following week after warming in the microwave and sprinkling a little cinnamon sugar on top.


Rice Pudding

2 c. milk
1 c. left over rice
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/3 c. raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat milk and rice, stirring frequently on simmer.  In separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar and vanilla.  Add to the milk and stir for a few seconds. Add raisins and cinnamon if using and put pan in oven for 20 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment