Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Pretty Darn Good Vegan Cookie - February 23, 2014


Thanks to John Johnson of the Wine Market, we had a fabulous Saturday evening with a dozen great friends.  John donated a wine tasting to a Clifton Center auction which we won last Summer. I made a four course French meal that John paired with six FABULOUS wines.  I don't know which wine I liked the most but the most surprising pairing was an Italian sparkling red jewel, Rosa Regale, that was paired with our dessert of chocolate mousse and olive oil cookies. The cookies were a second thought because our vegan friend Curtis came and we wanted to make sure he could enjoy all four courses.  I figured I'd be lucky to get even Curtis to eat the cookies, but they actually turned out to be a big hit.

I actually made the cookies in two batches and decided after the first batch that I thought they'd be even better with a sprinkling of sugar before baking.  So, that is how I include the recipe below, but you can make it without the sugar if you prefer.  I think these cookies would be even better paired with coffee or ice cream.


Olive Oil Cookies
2 1/2 c. flour
1 c. (+ more for sprinkling) sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. olive oil
2 eggs (or you can use any egg substitute like I did)

Combine dry ingredients (except sprinkling sugar).  Add in oil and egg substitute.  Mix and roll into Tbsp. size balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Using a spoon, press each ball to flatten and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  Cool and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment