Friday, April 5, 2013

I Only Eat My Mom’s Potato Salad – April 5, 2013



It’s true, there are as many potato salad recipes as there are families and everyone loves their mother’s best.  It was certainly true for me.  I grew up in Birmingham, but my mom made the recipe from her family famous for the use of dill rather than sweet pickles and it was all I would eat.  Now, I have a new mom, my mother-in-law, and she has taught me to love another potato salad so I can finally eat two.  Regardless of how you like it, potato salad allows you to make great use of potatoes and eggs in many inventive ways.  We headed to a basketball watching event on Saturday which gave me a great excuse to try it out.

For me, the first rule of potato salad is 3 to 2.  For every three potatoes, I use two eggs.  I start by boiling the eggs in one pot and the potatoes in another.  The eggs are easy.  You bring to a roiling boil and turn off.  Let them sit for 20 minutes and they will be perfect to peel and chop.  If you really want to make sure you get the best use of your eggs, you can do something I learned from Shopsin’s Deli in New York City.  Peel the eggs while still warm and remove the egg yolks.  Mix these warm yolks with the mayonnaise, then mix this with the other ingredients for a more eggy and creamy salad.

The potatoes boiling in their jacket must cook much longer.  I just keep sticking with my fork until it pokes in easily.  Place the potatoes under cool water.  The skins will come off easily so that you can chop and add with your eggs.  Then, you can choose one of my family recipes below, or adapt to your own taste. 


Harris Potato Salad

6 large boiled potatoes, chopped
4 boiled eggs, chopped
½ c. Miracle Whip
¼ c. Durkee’s Famous Sauce
1/3 c. minced shallot or onion
1/3 c. sweet relish (I used watermelon pickle, but have used sweet cucumbers or tomato relish)
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Hutcheson Potato Salad

6 large boiled potatoes, chopped
4 boiled eggs, chopped
½ c. Mayonnaise
¼ c. mustard
3 diced dill pickles
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

One Year Ago – Peach Sangria and Moonshine Jelly

No comments:

Post a Comment